Day 7


Today was our last day in Jerusalem. I have grown to really appreciate the city; it’s rich history and cultural diversity. We started the day in the “old” City of David, which has only recently been uncovered. The city is outside the current Jerusalem walls but it was once the heart of Jerusalem in fact it is the first Jerusalem as King David took it from the Jebusites 3000+ years ago.

We had a unique opportunity to see Hezekiah’s Tunnel deep within the earth. It was a very cool experience.
We also got to see the Pool of Siloam, uncovered three years ago, that Jesus sent the blind man after he put the mud and spit on his eyes. The corner of the pool is visible but the rest still needs to be excavated, but it is under land that is owned by the Greek Orthodox Church and its members are Palestinian’s and are unsympathetic to the Israeli’s, so, it will be some time before the whole pool is visible.
These are the steps leading down to the edge of the pool...still needs excavation
Next we headed up the hill to the house of Caiaphas. The house is gone and a church has been built on the site, but down inside the church is the original dungeon and pit that Jesus was in during his first trial. It is also the spot that Peter denied Jesus three times. The church is The Church of St. Peter and images of Peter, three and the rooster are in much of the art, including the door of the church.

This is the place where Peter denied Jesus three times...it is in the back if the chapel

Next we went to the Upper Room. We did not have communion there, we had it later in the day at the Garden Tomb. The Upper Room is not the actual room, but it gives you a good idea what it was like. I guess it was kind of anticlimactic; knowing the building we were in was built in the 12th Century…oh well.

Now for the highlight of my day…after an hour walk through Jerusalem, we arrived at the Garden Tomb. I was deeply impacted with the tomb and evangelical message that he is no longer here, but that he has risen! It was a powerful feeling stepping into the tomb and seeing the empty spot where the body would normally be. I really enjoyed the Garden Tomb.

After the moving visit to the tomb, we gathered in the little chapel in the garden for a communion service. I was given the opportunity to serve communion to my peers and friends. I asked Vicki to pray for the bread and Richie to pray for the cup. It was a special moment with friends and a meaningful sacrament in light of what we had seen and experienced together for the last few days.
Tomorrow we will see Masada and take a swim in the salty Dead Sea.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://lluker.faculty.ltss.edu/jerusalem-2.htm

I sent this site to Brian because it was covering pretty much the last two days of what you saw.

What a wondeful experience to serve communion in the Upper Room!!!

Thank you for sharing your time with us in Sioux Falls. I look forward to checking out the site buku times a day.

If you run across Edom Hand Creme, it smells wonderful and makes your hands super soft. It's from the Dead Sea. Do I sound like a Hebrew sales merchant =o)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that will be quite the experience to serve communion in the upper room. Good to hear things are going well.

Anonymous said...

Current Sioux Falls temp 2 degrees?

Anonymous said...

We miss you all so much. I find myself tearing up when I read the blog and hear about the experiences your are having. I feel connected. Thanks for letting us in. Praying for you all.

Anonymous said...

Two questions: Why did the picture of Richie look as if he was coming out of the bathroom (with the typical guilty look) and did you have grape juice or wine?

It appears to be another wonderful day for you guys in the holy land. Not that I'm jealous or anything....

Anonymous said...

Hi Friends-

I am so proud of myself for finding this blog! I love the pictures and the updates. We hear that the kids are doing great and we're looking forward to having Kermy this weekend. Enjoy every minute and we'll see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! What a cool journey you're on. . . and it sounds not only historically "WOW", and spiritually "WOW" but I'm thinking it's awfully sweet of y'all to include us in on it!

I have to be honest- I'm playing catch up- I haven't checked back in since Tuesday. You've covered some incredible places. Sounds like your/Vicki's comments about making the Bible come to life are very true!

I'm thinking I'm sharing Cindy's thoughts of jealousy. . . sorry!

Have a great rest of your trip- see you soon!

Pastor Doug said...

To respond to Cindy, the communion drink was grape juice...sorry.