Day 6


We walked about 5 miles through Jerusalem today. We visited the Pool of Bethesda and had a healing service there. It was powerful t see the same walls and pool that Jesus saw when he healed the man there.

Walking the Via Dolorosa was humbling as we remembered each station of the cross, the suffering and final crucifixion of Christ. I got to go to the rock quarry (Golgotha) and touch the rock/mountain of Calvary.
In thi picture I'm touching the rock of Calvery in the quary.

Next we went to the Western or Wailing Wall. I had the opportunity to pray at the wall with the other orthodox Jews who were offering their evening prayers.
Here is Jenny at the Western Wall. She is on the womens side. Men and women are seperated for prayer so the women don't distract the men!

At the close of the day we went to the teaching steps that are still present from Jesus’ day. These are the steps he taught from and the disciples listened. I could feel such a connection to the past and my faith feels electrified. Vicki Tigner said something today that I resonate with. It feels like the bible has moved from black and white to Technicolor!

Tomorrow, I have been asked to serve communion in the upper room, so Vicki and Richie will help me serve. Another highlight will be going to the Garden Tomb.

A meat market
A Jewis boy outside his school
The street that Jesus walked on!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious about the buffet food. Is it American cuisine or Israeli? Also are the people friendly? Since the country has many at the poverty level, it occured to me that the little girl selling Richie a rock, may have provided food for her family that day. Is there a way you can observe Jewish dancing and singing? Richie will undoubtedly remember his 30th birthday for years to come after having spent it in Israel. Prayer are with all for a safe and wonderful experience in the Holy Land.

Pastor Doug said...

The food is completely Israeli and when the try to create am American dish, it’s terrible. They like lots of spices, curry and cinnamon (not sweet). When it comes to their sweet things like desserts and drinks, they love it really sweet. I have to dilute my juice about 3:1.

For the most part, people are friendly. Tourism brings in so much money. We did have one shop owner cuss us out in Hebrew and tell us in English that he hates Americans. Needles to say, we didn’t buy any of his stuff.

All the merchants use their children to sell because they get better sales numbers. Many children can make $100 per day!

I have not seen any dancing, but I did get to hear the Priest Choir sing at the Wailing Wall (Western Wall) today. They sounded really good.

Anonymous said...

Vicki always has a way of putting things into perspective, doesn't she? What an amazing journey you're all on. I'm sure it's emotional, exciting, tiring, and rejuvenating all at the same time. I absolutely can't wait to hear the stories and see the pictures. I would go on, but our household is in mourning and we're all in black for 8 days so I need to go put on my sack cloth and beat my chest (or however that goes). Glad life is good for you all.

Anonymous said...

I want all to know the girl never sold me a rock. She tried for 20 minutes and I actually walked away with 2 rocks for free. Nobody can out negotiate a 9 year old Jordanian girl better than I can.