Day 12

We made it to Egypt! Last night was a short night, only a few hour of sleep, but today was spectacular! We started off at the Treasures of the Egyptian Museum. Here we saw King Tut’s Tomb artifacts and a million of other antiquities. We were told that if we spent five seconds at each display, we would need three months to see the museum. We did it in 2 hours! I was struck by the amount of stuff that the Egyptians kept in their tombs and the effort they put towards having all their stuff in the afterlife. Adam made a great comment. He said, “It’s amazing how people have been trying to take their stuff with them for thousands of years and it never does any good.” Well said! We couldn’t take any cameras or video into the museum, so sorry that we don’t have any pictures of it.

Next we headed to lunch for some great fish and kebabs! There’s some video down below of the restaurant and the view! There was a woman making bread in a very old brick oven. She worked on the ground and brought the bread to us hot from the oven…it was super good. Here’s a photo of the woman.

Then came the Pyramids and the Sphinx! They are so big that pictures don’t do them justice. I was not prepared for what I saw, the massiveness of them, and the thought that they were created thousands of years ago. Even during Jesus’ day when they fled to Egypt, the Pyramids were standing. We rode camels and had a blast. We even went into the middle of the second pyramid…what a day! There’s some video below of the camel ride with my special camel cam!

We ended the day by going to a real papyrus shop. Jenny and I couldn’t resist, we picked up some papyrus art for our home, it’s beautiful!

Tomorrow we will not fly to Luxor as the map shows, but we will take an all night train and then fly back to Cairo in a couple of days. Every minute is a surprise and we are just along for the ride. We will not be able to update the blog for two days, as the train will not have an Internet connection that I know of, so I will update as soon as I can.
This is a picture of Cairo


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH man! The Holy Land made me jealous enough but the Great Pyramids and the Sphinx? I've taught that for years and can't imagine how incredible it was to see. Hope you don't pick up the curse of the tomb of King Tut (scary music fades up)...now I'm going to take my jealous self out into the 30 below wind chill and drive my freezing vehicle home. One inch of snow in Amman...give me a break.....still kind of miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

Why were you so recless not to seek medical attention for Pastor Doug's camel? That poor creature...spitting and moaning like that.

Wow! Bread and headless fish!? That sounds really yummy. I had to suffer through a french dip sub and curly fires at Arby's along with cheesecake poppers and all the Diet Pepsi I could drink. You kids are so lucky!

Have fun on the train!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm . . . I too ate at Arby's today (great minds think alike). Arby's melt with curly fries and a regular Pepsi (apparently the diet stuff will kill you now) or #15 if you prefer that route- I topped mine off with a cherry turnover.

I am sure that your alfalfa has been good though.

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering about the condition of the camel too. Was that something camels do is roll in the sand, or roll over and die! Just exactly what do you have to do to be a really good camel jockey? The Tilapia looked like road kill! Makes one appreciate the "gut bomb" at Mc Donalds! Stay safe.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful experiences.