Day 11

We awoke to a strange phenomenon this morning…snow! Yes, here in Amman it started snowing at about 8:00 AM and continued until about 11:00 AM. It put just over an inch on the ground. The last time it snowed here was four years ago. Our days have been a bit cool but nothing like snow weather.

Today we had the whole day to ourselves. Half of our group is flying back to the US and the rest of us will fly out tonight for Cairo, Egypt. The US group was to fly out at 10:30 AM but Richie called me from the plane and he was stuck on the runway at noon with no idea when they would be cleared for takeoff. It looks like they will miss all their connecting flights in N.Y. and Minneapolis. I guess a little snow in Amman is like three feet of snow in Sioux Falls.

After sleeping in and having a leisurely breakfast, the majority of the group decided to swim that day, but the Tigners’, Harris’ and Jenny and I decided to go to the four-story Mecca Mall to find the food court and hopefully something other than Falafel. We have eaten our fair share of Falafel…a pita bread sandwich with falafel balls (ground chickpea and spices), cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage and a white sauce. They are good and Middle East families eat at least one per day, but for us Americans, they get old fast!

The cab ride to the Mecca Mall was fun. Five of us got into a little cab and tried to reinact the clown car at the circus! Once we got to the mall I found a Burger King and after exchanging my US dollar for a Jordanian dollar (a 1:1.5 ratio) I had my Whopper. It actually tasted like home. I think it should get me through another week. Jenny had KFC. I honestly can’t remember what others had because I was in heaven with my Whopper. The only reason I know Jenny had KFC was she gave me a piece.

At 5:00 PM we headed to the airport for our 7:45 flight. At 10:00 PM we left the runway. We landed in Cairo and got to our hotel at 12:00 AM. They had prepared dinner for us, but we had to get up at 6:00 AM so Jenny and I crashed in our room. We have separate beds on different sides of the room. It feels very “I Love Lucy” ish.

Tomorrow we see the great pyramids! I can’t wait!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you folks know how good a whopper and fries tastes. It is truely delicious even if it is not as nutricious as a falauful.

God's Blessings,
TES

Anonymous said...

I thought the Mecca Mall was in Minneapolis...this is all very confusing.

I had the filafel combo number five at Burger King yesterday and loved it. I don't know what you are all complaining about. It is far yummier that any KFC i've ever had.

Maybe you all can go out and teach the Jordanians to go sledding!